We checked in with a few trusted and talented interior designers to see how they're making their homes as calming, restful, and productive a place as possible during this time.
Explore below how these designers are rethinking their home spaces, and be sure to borrow their methods when creating your own personal sanctuary.
"I set up my at-home-office in my sunroom which is a wall of windows to provide natural light, which I find essential when being creative, along with some soft music and of course my dogs at my feet..."
- Leslie Jenkins, owner and lead designer of Jenkins Interiors, Dallas, TX
"Living in New York City during such uncertain times has been stressful to say the least. To offset that, I am prioritizing a clean and tidy apartment; beds made, laundry and toys put away - so it can be our 'sanctuary', our safe-haven, despite all the uncertainty in the world outside."
- Tharon Anderson McEvoy, founder and director of Tharon Anderson Design, New York, NY
"I'm creating my at home sanctuary by catching up with friends, getting oudoors as much as possible, and honing my cooking skills..."
- Kevin Walsh, designer and owner of Bear Hill Interiors, Little Rock, AR
"The foundation of my sanctuary is a clean home. Once achieved, my tranquility comes from music playing, candles burning, and stealing quiet moments of solitude. (Not always easy in a house with two kids, two dogs, two chickens and one husband, but I try!)"
- Kristine Paige Kamenstein, principal designer of Jackson Paige Interiors, Los Angeles, CA
"My husband and I just moved into our newly renovated apartment a day before the shelter in place order went into effect. Given the unique circumstances, I'm using the time to carefully unpack and organize our new space. I love my home and while I don't prefer living in disarray, I feel confident that taking the time to create a place of refuge and restoration will be such an important form of self-care during these unprecendented and unsettling times."
- Emily C. Butler, interior designer and decorator of Studio Ziggy, New York, NY
“I have all of my lights on dimmers so I can create ambient light at night time; I have been lighting lots of candles and buying fresh flowers when I can.”
- Katie Gibson of Katie Gibson Interiors, Nashville, TN